Someone once said that everyone in the world is six steps away from any other person on the planet. I don’t know what I think of that, but I seem to find myself knowing someone that knows someone who knows someone else. I love playing the six degrees of separation game, especially when it makes the world seem a little bit smaller.
In my city, we also call this “The Mennonite Game” but instead of figuring out if you know someone famous, you try to figure out if you are related.
Since you’re probably not Mennonite, I now present you with my six degrees of separation to several people you may have heard of, or a list of things that makes me seem cooler than I actually am.
1. My friend is second cousins with Matthew Thiessen, lead singer of Relient K.
2. My friend graduated from the same theater program as Rachel McAdams and has consequently had telephone conversations with her about acting and such.
3. I was the flower girl in the wedding of a guy whose best friend was best friends with Steven Page (formally of the Barenaked Ladies) in grades 4 through 6.
4. My sister in law’s uncle is the Simon Cowell of Argentina. He attended Michael Buble’s wedding.
5. My sister in law’s family is friends with the “Mista! Mista!” lady in Happy Gilmore..
6. My friend’s friend (who is now my friend….wink) ate Derek Webb’s macaroni and cheese while she was babysitting his kids.
7. My aunt and uncle live in Africa. That’s got to count for something, right?
That’s it. My list is short. Please help me add to it.
What makes you sound cooler than you actually are?